While you've been idling in your H3, I've been contemplating the "green" lifestyle. I'm on board for sustainable architecture (we'll talk more about that later) which is really just practical architecture. But on a more personal note, How green am I willing to be? Well I convinced my hubby that installing a sprinkler system is a waste of money and natural resource.
But what about eating locally? Sounds great. I love the farmer's market and I drive by it everyday to and from work. They usually have a better deal than the supermarket, at least on the veggies. But what about when you want asparagus out of season, like I did 3 months ago. You go home empty-handed and sad. But eventually you get over it. Eating locally exclusively? I'm sure it can be done, heck I'm sure it has been done. At first mention it sounds feasible, til you read on and see exactly what has been removed from you're diet. Most of the things you've been talking about removing from you're diet anyway, but just never got around to.
Some of the typical things you'll miss: coffee, salt, spices, pasta, flour, and chocolate. Hopefully you'll never reach this point.
It's easy to see why this system, wouldn't work for me. I really don't care where my chocolate comes from as long as it gets here. And no spices. My god, what was the whole point of the last 500 years of history, if I can't get spices. How about this? I'll use local goats for my curried goat, but by golly they will be curried.Faced with potatoes, once again, for lunch, Ms. Smith recounts her feeling that “I’d kill for a sandwich.” ...The authors held so strictly to their plan that when they eventually found locally grown wheat they took it even though it was filled with mouse droppings. Mr. MacKinnon painstakingly separated the droppings from the wheat with the edge of a credit card.
No comments:
Post a Comment