24.7.07

Home Abroad



I've always wanted to live abroad. I guess when I think about it, I have lived most of my life abroad. But since I have, I don't think of my homeland as home. Reading this article (click picture above) convinced me more that I should definitely live abroad, no matter how old I may be when I get there.

Excerpt from:
At Home Abroad
Settling Down in a City in Motion
By EMILY PRAGER

WHEN you rent a place in Shanghai, the landlord gives you presents. This is a terrific shock for a New Yorker. My agent told me I could ask for special furniture, TVs, gym memberships — the landlady would actually take me shopping.

I was flummoxed by what to ask for. Finally I requested a washing machine and window screens to keep out mosquitoes. Otherwise, I took the place unfurnished, thinking I would buy secondhand furniture and get a look at the town in the process. My rental agent was so upset by my reticence that she insisted that the owner throw in a big TV and pay for the satellite service for a year.

No comments: