As told by DAVID POGUE of the NYTimes on Dec. 20, 2007
One morning, Mr. FedEx dropped off a mysterious package that looked for all the world as if it contained a painting.
It did: a stunning interpretive painting of my two children hugging, by the seashore at sunset. Oil on canvas, stretched across a 16-x-20-inch frame.
It was awesome — and sneaky. It had been sent by PhotoFiddle.com, a company that turns your digital photos into actual paint-on-canvas originals, in any of dozens of art styles (modern, abstract, Warhol, sketch and so on). They’d found the photo on my own Web site, run it through their computerized painting machines, and sent it, unsolicited, in hopes of piquing my interest.
My editor said I was welcome to write about it — but I couldn’t keep it unless I paid for it. Which I did ($140).
There are other companies that turn photos into canvas paintings, by the way; Google can find them for you, and they make incredible gifts. But not many of them offer a choice of painter styles the way PhotoFiddle does.
No comments:
Post a Comment