One commercial features a family embarking on a long overdue vacation. Another depicts a father and son preparing to buy a used car. In both, Wal-Mart shopping bags are visible in their cars.
Wal-Mart, the ads claim, saves the average family $2,500 a year. The implication seems clear: shop at Wal-Mart, save money, and you can afford to splurge.
But it turns out you save $2,500 even if you never step foot inside a Wal-Mart.
An outside firm, paid by Wal-Mart, found that the company’s emphasis on low prices led to a 3 percent decline in overall consumer prices. That translated into $287 billion in savings in 2006, or $2,500 a household, whether a family shops at Wal-Mart or a competitor, according to the study.
30+ designer who loves, loves, loves her family, food, travel, and architecture. Caribbean born, raised in the Northeast, smitten by the south, and living in the Midwest. Architect by trade, designer by passion, practical by design. Big sister with an even bigger heart. Good cook, great wife, loving mother and life-time learner.
1.4.08
Shop @ Wal-Mart = Save $$$
I don't go because I can save money; it's about saving time. Last week I needed a computer hard drive, peat moss, eggs, and orange juice. I got all of these items at Super Wal-Mart. Not because I like them or because they're cheaper, but because (in this isolated case) they were convenient.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment