So you haven't heard a peep out of me in a while. Partly because there was no need to inudate you more with anyone's opinion, including mine, on Saddam's trial, the revival of the Taliban in Afgahnistan, Mark Foley's folly, or if North Korea is really going to blow up the world. Partly because I just didn't want to. If there is more than one person who reads this, I apologize. But for the one who does, thanks Mel.
Well I figure we have to bear with Saddam as much as we have to bear with G.W. Eventually they both will be out of the spotlight. The Taliban is going go where they go. You can't police the world. In all the political punditry and spin on the whole "Mark Foley scandal", no one can define clearly what was the offense. Was it that he was an old creepy guy? Was it that he was an old creepy guy hitting on young teenages guys? Was it that he was gay? How do you molest someone over the internet? The last functional definition of "molestation" I had required physical tangible interaction. Was it the Repulican cover up? What exactly was it? Oh it's the "nothing else to harp on in the news for the next month til mid-term elections."
Three points I want make sure I wasn't the only one who noticed this.
First, Foley apologized and said he was seeking treatment for alcohol abuse and behavioral problems. Alcohol abuse ≠ child molestation. One has nothing to do with the other. Don't give alcoholics a bad name, they have a hard enought time. Secondly, everyone keeps talking about protecting our children. These pages are not 8, or 10, or even 12. They're old enough the leave home, live "on the hill", and get their school work done before running errands for the congressional staff. They're 16-18 year olds, old enough to work and have income tax taken from their pay, old enough to be entrusted the priviledge and responsibilty of driving, old enough to tell some creepy old guy they're NOT interested in having ANY kind of relationship with him. Lastly, Foley then came out and said that he was molested as a young man, but he's not saying that as an excuse for what he did. The fact that you said that is exactly for the reason you said it wasn't.
Finally, if North Korea was going to blow up the world, they would have done it already. Not to mention the blast would have spoiled Kim Jong-il's perfectly coiffed hair, and we couldn't have that could we. Ok, I need to stop witht he politics, but since we are on the subject I'm extremely happy to see that Forest Whitacker is playing Idi Amin in "The Last King of Scotland". The don't make dictators like they used to. Oh how times have changed.
No comments:
Post a Comment