
Above is my friend and former co-worker LDC. He's building his own house. This is probably the most common fantasy of most architects. So CONGRATS to him! Now, I'm not advocating everyone to do this. If you feel the urge to do so, call a professional, ie, ME. And I'll help you to understand the steps. If you still insist, I'll direct you in the right path. I will not, I repeat, I will not hand over a nail gun to you and say "Have a ball." They don't even let me do that. (They being my husband.)
In the meanwhile, educate yourself. Discern your design tastes so you know what you like, what you don't like, what you want to live with, what you don't, and what you (think you) can do better on your own.(I only say that because it's a lot harder to physically implement those grandiose ideas we all have from time to time.) Start here: The People's Design Award. Vote for the Brick!!! No, vote for the Play Pump. No, the Book. Ok, so there are a lot of good desgins nominated. Vote for one. Nominate one. Ooh I double dog dare you to design and produce one. Remember: If you build it, they will come. If you don't, you have to live in someone else's.
Wanna got the extra mile: Read Design Like You Give A Damn. Then do so.
No comments:
Post a Comment