So this motherhood thing has presented me with a small identity crisis. Although pregnancy gives you 40 weeks to transition; that's an identity-morphing experience within itself. Prime example, one day you have a waist and feet, then another day you look/feel like a Macy's Thanksgiving Parade Day balloon. But nothing prepares you for the head-on-collision of the first few weeks of motherhood. We can go into that after I've finished with my therapist, Dr. Jack Daniels.
My self-perception included things like being a professional, wearing cute but high heels, a thick hipped fashionista whose toes were always done if she was gonna have them out. Enter pregnancy. The thick hips were subdued by the thickening waist. The high heels were never practical but even less so due to the shift in the center of gravity and then completely obliterated by the half-size increase of the foot itself. (Do you know how hard it is to find a 10 1/2 shoe?) And the professional thing wilted with being laid off in Feb., then withered as my waist grew larger than my networking circle in my new home state of Iowa. It's all bit much to handle.
Then came Friday! 4 weeks postpartum, I noticed things like I'm dipping below my pre-pregnany weight(screw Jenny Craig, breastfeeding is the best diet). So I decided to try on my pre-pregnancy jeans. Hallelujah, they fit in all the right places. Hhhmm, that's part of what got me pregnant to begin with. Let's try the shoes. They're a lil snug, but then again they always were. Never stopped me before. Lastly,I was able to slide on the wedding & engagement ring. WooHoo, I'm rocking my rocks.
NikJames is back!!!
1 comment:
Yay! Congrats on fitting back into your sexy shoes! Who says you can't look hot just because you're wearing a baby sling?
Miss you lady!
Post a Comment