Jan 4, 2009 approx 6:00 pm. Fred gets home after stopping at the grocery store for diapers and a few other staples. I would have gone myself but it was a high of 12 degrees. He brings home rice cereal for the baby.
Here's the logic: Kate is 4 months old today. Babies start solids between 4-6 months. Kate chews regurgitated curdled milk from spit-up. Kate sleeps in 3+ hour chunks at night, which makes her parents get up frequently over the course of her 12 hours of solid sleep.
Hypothesis: If we feed Kate rice cereal, she will sleep longer and so will we. She's obviously ready for solids per the chewing action.
Experiment: After a much needed bath (gastrointestinal issues) we give Kate 1 tsp. of rice cereal in 2 oz. of breast milk, which she gulps down and immediately falls asleep @ 7:00 pm.
Observation: Parents do touchdown dance once baby is asleep, eat dinner, clean up, check email, try to get to bed quickly before baby's first waking.
8:30 PM - Kate is awake, feed her more breast milk thinking she'll go back to sleep shortly afterward. (This was only fuel for the fire) Kate is awake & wants to play!
Kate plays, coos, talks, kicks, etc until 10:30 pm.
1:00 AM - Kate drinks approx 3 oz of breast milk; back asleep.
4:00 AM - Kate drinks approx 2 oz of breast milk; back asleep.
4:10 AM - Kate making noise; pick her, up she falls asleep on my shoulder instantaneously.
4:15 AM - Kate is awake again, Fred rocks her while I'm pumping.
5:15ish AM- Kate awake & gassy, doesn't want milk, lay in guest bed while Kate kicks me (this is her idea of fun interaction)
5:30 AM - Fred takes Kate downstairs to watch him eat breakfast & so I can get some sleep.
5:45 AM - Kate back upstairs with me, breastfeed until we both fall asleep
7:30 AM - Put Kate back in her crib, go back to bed. (In my head: Thank God, now I can get some sleep)
8:23 AM - Kate awake; put her on Fred's side of the bed so she can play, look at the ceiling fan, stare at her hands, while I attempt to rest.
8:30 AM - Kate grunting, passing gas, pooping. Take Kate to changing table, realize poop has leaked out of diaper legs, now being soaked up by footed pajamas.
8:50 AM - Give Kate another bath because her poop is all over her, her clothes, & her changing table.
Lotion & dress Kate. Feed Kate 4 oz of breast milk, all while she's upset but can't figure out what she's upset about. Finally I figure out she's tired and rock her to sleep.
9:17 AM - Kate asleep in crib.
Conclusion: I don't believe Kate is ready for cereal as evidenced by the gastrointestinal issues that plagued her & us all night long as well as the huge poop that exhausted her and me. I guess we just have to go back to solely breast milk and waking up every 3+ hours. It couldn't be any worse than the alternative that we witnessed last night.
PS You're probably thinking that I should go take a nap now, but I'm officially awake now. Cup of coffee you say? No thanks, Kate doesn't need any caffeine in her breast milk. Oatmeal with soy milk it is. Cheers!
3 comments:
LOL...Ok....so I'll wait till Nicholas is 5 months before I try that!!
Thank you for two things.. one for making me laugh and smile. I needed that very much and second for reassuring myself I shall NEVER have another baby:)
Get some sleep...
That was too funny to read. You look exhausted though so I feel guilty being entertained. Take care and get some rest.
Post a Comment