5.2.10

Cut the Cord

One night this week I had the joy of putting Kate to bed. Frederick usually has that nightly routine since he doesn't get to spend much time with her. But this particular evening it was my turn. Every night we bathe her @ 6:00 PM; sometimes foregoing dinner ourselves. All in the hopes that she will fall asleep closer to 7:00 PM rather than 9:00 PM. So as I rocked her in the rocking chair, she played with whatever she could get her hands on. My shirt, my chain, my arms. Kicking the spindles on the rocking chair. This may just be her wind down process but I think it's her attempt at avoiding sleep.

So rather than cradle hold, I held her chest to chest. After a little while she let out a big sigh. As her warm breath drifted across my neck, I knew she finally going to sleep. That little big sign warmed my skin and melted my heart. I then understood why my mother still calls me names like precious. It's hard to cut the cord when this little loving person depends totally on you and entrusts you with everything. I know I will encourage her to fly out of the nest when it's appropriate. Cut the cord , I will. But sever these heart strings, never.

No comments: