18.7.12

(Horrible Hostess) Day 5 in South Africa

I've been a horrible hostess. I begin you on this trip to South Africa and never complete it. I got so hung up in the details that I abandoned the overall project.

I apologize.

If you are still willing to take the rest of the journey with me, I'll try to be a better hostess.

Day 5: Monday,  20 February, 2012

Our itinerary had a visit to Table Mountain scheduled, but since we took advantage of the beautiful weather on Day 3 to visit; we were able to "laze" about the hotel for breakfast on this particularly foggy morning.
IMG_2407
The 'green wall' initiative is a collaboration between the V&A Waterfront, Mercedes-Benz South Africa, Big Boom Media and horticulturist experts. Click photo for more info on green wall.
 
Mid morning we shuffled to the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront. Most of us were familiar with the area as we had dined there earlier in the week. Our guide oriented us to where we were to meet for lunch and then she let us explore the area on our own. The V&A Waterfront are historic docklands around Victoria and Alfred Basins as a mixed-use area with a focus on retail, tourism and residential development, and continued operation of a working harbor.

IMG_2412 
Our group gathered at the Old Clock Tower.
Click photo for more info on clock tower.


IMG_2415
An enchanting double decker Venetian Carousel built in the original 1800’s fashion and is completely handmade.
IMG_2421
Den Anker Restaurant (on left) and African Trading Port (on left) just across the swing bridge.

IMG_2431
Squirrel hanging out with his new lady friend, she doesn't talk much.
Poor Squirrel had to wait for us as I shopped for souvenirs at the African Trading Port. Fortunately for him I only buy postcards. But amidst all they had it took a little while to find them. Looking back i wish I had bought an ostrich egg. Oh well, maybe next trip.


IMG_2434 
Painted & Polished Ostrich Egg

IMG_2440
The  vastness of the V&A Waterfront complex.
IMG_2463
Boat Parking Here?
IMG_2443
Let's go sailing!
IMG_2451
Let's go cruising!




Lots of harbor cruises occur around here. Pre-schoolers enjoying their boat ride. What a field trip!


IMG_2468
Oscar, the bronze Cape fur seal sculpture by wildlife artist Danie de Jager, in front of the Table Bay Hotel.

IMG_2495
Woolworth sells luxury goods?

They do in South Africa, as well as in Bahrain, Botswana, Kenya, Lesotho, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Oman, Qatar, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. Click on the picture to see the flatware they had on display. They also had tea services sets that made me want to quit coffee altogether. Did I mention they have a Trader Joe's-like grocer inside too?


IMG_2508
Elliot rocking out!

Elliot, the giant man constructed out of 4200 plastic empty Coca-Cola crates, lives at Cape Town's V&A Waterfront. Elliot is nearly 60 feet tall and weighs a whopping 27 tons.

Finally we made it back to Den Anker for lunch, where we had Cheese Croquettes, Kingklip Sauce au Safran, and Créme Brulée.

IMG_2570
Cheese Croquettes

IMG_2571
Kingklip Sauce au Safran

IMG_2575
Tommy the Tugboat; Too cute!!! Click pic to book a cruise.
So here's the reason that it took me so long. Before our meal came, the swing bridge opened to let a ship through. I was so enthralled with the super-fast shutter on my new camera, I didn't even think to take a video. So here's the photo-stiched movie I was working on that delayed the blog. Hope you like.

1 comment:

Monique said...

I have got to go to that Woolworth's and learn how to cook cheese croquets!