8.8.06

AIDS in Arabia




With The 16th International AIDS Conference opening in Toronto on Sunday. Here's a little different lens to view this disease through.

Being gay in Saudi Arabia is hard enough. But for a growing number of Saudis like Feisal, middle-aged, gay and H.I.V.-positive, life is a tangle of regret and fear.For years Saudi Arabia kept its growing AIDS problem hidden. Statistics on the disease were sealed in envelopes and guarded like national secrets. In mosques, imams spoke of AIDS as the “wrath of God” brought upon people who committed “sexual deviancy.”

Saudi citizens with AIDS have also long had the right to free medical care, and today receive expensive anti-retroviral drugs without charge. But the rights and protections are only for Saudi citizens. More than three-quarters of the reported H.I.V. cases are of foreign residents. Foreigners living here found to be H.I.V.-positive are typically imprisoned and then deported.

When Rami al-Harithi (pictured above) stood before television cameras at a commemoration of World Aids Day in the Saudi capital last year, he became one of the first AIDS patients to come out in the open.“I wanted to change people’s view of H.I.V.,” said Mr. Harithi, whose story has attracted sympathy throughout the country. A hemophiliac, Mr. Harithi contracted H.I.V. when he was 8 years old. “Just as I’d expected, people were surprised to see me as just a normal guy inflicted with this disease.”

Other AIDS patients jealously note that the specifics of Mr. Harithi’s case have allowed him to lead a more normal life than they can. For those who contracted the disease sexually, especially those in Saudi Arabia’s homosexual underworld, life often proves far lonelier. For men like Feisal, who tested H.I.V.-positive five years ago, the options are markedly different. He attended college in the United States, where he enjoyed an avowedly raucous gay sex life, but returned to Saudi Arabia where homosexuality was a crime and became closeted. He was trying out for a job when a friend warned him that it would entail a blood and urine test. He decided to test independently first, and found that he was infected with H.I.V.

No comments: