21.11.12

Festival of Trees Parade

We love to travel!
Never would have guessed it, would you? But whenever we stay still we always look for fun local things to do as a family. So this weekend, we attended the Festival of Trees Parade.

What is Festival of Trees? So glad you asked.
Festival of Trees is the annual fundraiser for Quad City Arts, a local not-for-profit arts agency. Over a week long series of events make up Festival of Trees. The Festival of Trees Parade is billed as the largest helium-balloon parade in the Midwest with over 20 large helium balloons, pageant queens, dance groups, bands, clowns, floats, tractors and unique antique cars will participate in this spectacular event.

I started the day at 5:00 AM with a sinus headache and we were running around getting our home together for some friends we invited over for dinner later that night. That morning, I stayed at home cleaning, while Kate & Daddy went food shopping. We took a break at 11:00 AM to go see the parade. While in the car, delayed by traffic, Kate falls asleep. I turn to my hubby and ask if we can go home. He says "No, we are GOING to enjoy this as a family." (Thank God for awesome dads.)

So we finally find a parking space and have to meander a few blocks back to the parade where we were greeted by:

 IMG_8222

RUDOLPH!!! (Yes, that's me screaming, not my child.)

IMG_8234

I especially love this guy with cell phone in hand, driving his Christmas tractor.


IMG_8235

 Rudolph's handlers had a few issues negotiating traffic lights.

 IMG_8238

I developed a mild obsession with pageant queens, if only due to the sheer number of them in the parade.

 IMG_8248

A few local celebrities, like Rascal the River Bandit, showed up.

IMG_8275

I don't know how this float got in the parade. But somehow I don't think a house fire = Happy Holidays.

IMG_8278

Random dragon balloon. Methinks someone was trying to meet the balloon quota.

IMG_8282

Libby the Library Dog (again I was screaming.) Don't judge, I love the library.

IMG_8290

Isn't this the now defunct Michigan J. Frog (aka the WB frog)?

IMG_8302

Santa's got a swe-eet ride.

IMG_8309

Too bad he can't give Frosty a lift.

Next year we'll attend the tree lighting on John Deere Commons.
 Tree Lighting & Parade New Coverage
Here are some pictures from the local news affiliate. And here are some more.

No comments: