- Walk the across the Brooklyn Bridge.
- Visit Ground Zero/ Sept 11th Memorial.
- Visit Wall Street, see who's really occupying it.
- Walk the High Line.
Two out of four ain't bad. And I made an effort for for Ground Zero but due to "security issues" you can't just stroll up there. I started with the High Line, it was the closest at the time and I figured the air would do my sleep-deprived self some good. A few stairs up and this is my new New York. (Yeah me for not taking the elevator!)
For all my architects and future architects, DO NOT DO THIS!!! (at least not in public.)
There is nothing lovelier than a well-designed shaft space.
Especially when it takes it's end-users comfort into account.
Please note the lovely stepped balcony for your viewing pleasure.
I'll leave you to fill in your own (dirty, little) comments.
HL23 (High Line on 23rd Street, the first major freestanding building of acclaimed architect and theorist Neil Denari, principal of Neil M. Denari Architects (NMDA). HL23’s reverse-tapering structure will cantilever gracefully over the rail beds, creating a local landmark while producing cinematic views and unrivaled intimacy with the High Line for residents inside. For a cool $3.1 million those cinematic views can be yours too.
Valentine's Day blossoms; I'll welcome a mild winter over imported roses anyday.
STILL LIFE WITH LANDSCAPE (MODEL FOR A HABITAT) - Sarah Sze
June 8, 2011 - June, 2012 On the High Line, between West 20th and West 21st Streets.
For the High Line, Sze created an elaborate metropolis of perspectival architectural models that are bisected by the High Line path itself. The architecture, complex and dynamic, acts as a bird, butterfly and insect observatory, with perches, feeding spots and birdbaths throughout.
Designed by architect Frank Gehry and completed in 2007, the IAC headquarters are located in the vibrant Chelsea neighborhood of New York City.
Tenth Avenue Square is a kind of amphitheater with 10th Avenue, directly below, as the focus. Viewed through a series of huge windows, the parade of cabs, trucks, and other vehicles accelerating away north on the avenue becomes strangely compelling.
This multi-layered space has been designed to be highly accessible. There are stairs, but the floor is actually a gently graded ramp that goes all the way to the bottom level in a series of wide turns
You also get great (by great I mean barely visible) views of the Statue of Liberty.
But lovlier views of the Hudson River.
And reminders that you're still walking the tracks.
You might even stay on the right side of the tracks starting at $295/night at the Standard Hotel.
Or you can enjoy the "free" bences provided by the City.

The backside of Diane Von Furstenberg was as close as I got to Fashion Week while I was in town. (Bonus: Name that building in the background.)

At the High Line’s southern terminus, crews are hard at work preparing to pour the foundations for the new downtown location of the Whitney Museum of American Art and the High Line Headquarters.

This is not the Location for the movie "Date Night", though after my stroll along the High Line I felt like a Super-Star!!!

Once I was back on street level, I was hungry so I headed back uptown for lunch with my favorite six-foot, gorgeous black male artist (everyone should have one) and childhood friend, Spencius.
No comments:
Post a Comment