29.3.12

Shhhhh...the City is sleeping.

After I met hubby at the airport, and two of our other friends; we made out way back into the City for dinner. Pat Rice patiently waited  for us to: A) Make up our minds where we were going to eat & B) actually get into the City during rush hour.

Times Square

We decided to meet her in Times Square. Bright idea!

Times Square

I tried to describe to her "where" we were. When she called me to tell me she was head in the wrong direction, I realized we could have chosen a quieter  corner of the world City.

Times Square

We finally met up and went to dinner. Our friend, William (whom I often call "Squirrel") wanted a Brazilian steakhouse, or a churrascaria. You know the kind where passadores (meat waiters) come to the table with knives and a skewer, on which are speared various kinds of meat, be it; beef, pork, filet mignon, chicken, duck, ham (and pineapple), sausage, fish, or any other sort of local cut of meat. And you actually have to tell them to stop feeding you food. I convinced him that was cost prohibitive and gave him the lovely alternative of the Ipanema Restaurant. I read some reviews on Urbanspoon (this a a great app), one from the NYTimes and another from a blogger who had pics posted of the dishes. Pictures speaks a thousand words when you're hungry.

FEIJOADA COMPLETA (BRAZILIAN NATIONAL DISH)

I had the Feijoada Completa, a rich black bean stew with an assortment of smoked meats. It's also considered by many as the national dish of Brazil. It was delicious. Oh and the coconut caipirinha was great, both of them.

IMAG1322

Pat Rice had the Churrasco Oswaldo Aranha, an aged Grilled Shell Steak in Garlic.

IMAG1323

After a while of staring at the menu we started ordering from the pictures on the foodie blogger's website. My husband and our friend, Squirrel, order the steaks with the fried egg.  The group shared appetizers of empanadas and fried chorizo sausages.

The food was great, the drinks were great, and the company was great. How often do you get to dine with someone named "Squirrel"?

So we put the City to bed that night...cause tomorrow morning we "cross the pond"....
SAA

No comments: