30+ designer who loves, loves, loves her family, food, travel, and architecture. Caribbean born, raised in the Northeast, smitten by the south, and living in the Midwest. Architect by trade, designer by passion, practical by design. Big sister with an even bigger heart. Good cook, great wife, loving mother and life-time learner.
2.3.12
The Long Road Home
Nothing makes you enjoy traveling halfway around the world like a stomach virus, slight fever, extreme chills, and sinus headache upon return. Oh and snow, don't get me started on the snow. But I have to say that I am grateful for the "rest" I got upon return. I'm really grateful that it was ONLY those four distinct symptoms and not MALARIA (as far as I know).
I'm actually surprised that I didn't fall ill sooner considering the schedule we followed while on "vacation". Somehow, I convinced my dear husband that we should not relax on a beautiful white sand beach somewhere, but rather awake by 7:00 am every morning so we could rip and run until late afternoon everyday. I think I used the phrase "this is a once in a lifetime opportunity", fully intending to do this again at least 3-4 more time before I die.
I woke up this morning thinking to myself that I've never been to DisneyWorld and could care less if I never went. I've got 5 more continents to visit and only 5+ decades, God-willing, to do so. As a matter of fact all of you that have been to DisneyWorld should ask for a full refund. (I suppose they serve a purpose, as small children tend not to be cautious around wild animals.) But the adults definitely should get a refund. Nothing against the over sized rodent mascot and friends, but the real stuff is SO MUCH BETTER!
*Disclaimer: If ever approached with the opportunity to go to DisneyWorld, I'll most assuredly go. But I will no longer whine that I have never gone in the 3 decades I've been on the Earth and as thus had a deprived childhood. Now I know I've been severely deprived of so much more. BTW, Thanks Mom & Dad, for all that LOVE, food, clothing, shelter, and education. It's a wonder I made it into adulthood.*
But I digress...The (round)trip was 2 weeks long and AMAZING . I will go more into that on my next few post starting with "The Long Road There". But in the meanwhile, you can enjoy/lust after/long for the last sight we had before packing our bags to return home. (The bags which incidentally got to stay an extra day in Johannesburg; yes, I'm jealous of my luggage.)
A rainbow at Victoria Falls! (see lower left corner of video)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment