19.4.12

Headed Down to the Cape

Day#3: 18 Februray 2012, Saturday.


After an Amazink night out, we had breakfast at the hotel, then we headed down to the Cape. Cape of Good Hope, that is. In the two decades that I lived in Massachusetts, I never made it to Cape Cod. But now I was headed to the point that Portuguese explorers crashed upon, literally, in search of a direct route to India and its spices.

IMG_1696
What a view!
On this gorgeous morning, we wound our way from the hotel down to the waterfront . We followed the coastline south through Bantry Bay (formerly know as Botany Bay), an affluent suburb of Cape Town, where we saw cliffside mansions.

Salt Vodka Bar

Breakfast patrons of Salt Vodka Bar noshing at the deli, with a panoramic view of the Atlantic Ocean.

IMAG0497

My dear, sweet, lovable husband was kind enough to take a picture of the flora for me. Or maybe he was just testing his camera. Either way, I get a cool, sweet, weird picture of a pine tree. And our friends in the background. Stalker-riffic!

IMG_1706
Uncle Milo strolls by the twelve Apostles
Our first stop was at Maiden's Cove. Situated between Clifton's beaches and Glen Beach, it's known for its views of Table mountain and the Twelve Apostles Mountain Range.

IMG_1710
Tourists taking pictures of tourists
IMG_1717
Fred & I at Maiden's Cove
IMAG0499
Why is Fred's ocean/sky so blue?
IMG_1714
The Doctor showing off his muscles. 
PS. That is Camp's Bay High School behing the good doctor, seated at the base of the mountain. How awesome would it be to get out of class and go surf? (Can you tell I watched too many 90210 episodes in my younger life?)

IMG_1724
Family Beach
IMG_1725
IMG_1734
Tidal Pool
Just in case you were curious, I added a satellite image of the area. It doesn't do it justice, but armchair travelling never hurts. Go Google Earth!!!

No comments: