27.4.12

Family: Far & Wide

When I was looking at colleges as a junior in high school, I remember my mom telling me that wherever I go I'll always have cousins there. Even though I was an only child, and she was one of three siblings; both of her parents were one of nine siblings, each.

So we have this super-extended family tree of cousins that stretches not only across the USA, but entire continents, and oceans. To date, I know of relatives in Canada, USA, Jamaica, sprinkled all throughout the Caribbean islands, England, South Africa, and some suspected to be in Australia. So with a little digging, (ie a phone call or if you're close enough, a cup of tea and a visit), I can find extended family wherever we go. This was a relief when my husband and I decided to move to Iowa.

There are some cousins in Chicago, but the closest (distance) to us are on my husband's family tree. They live in the next town over and we all attend Harvest Bible Chapel Davenport. This is great, highlighted even more by the fact that we've become great friends.  But of all the visitors we've hosted in our fair city, our most frequent is Uncle Sydney. He drives tractor trailers from Canada to California quite frequently, thus he passes by Iowa often. Is that why you haven't come to visit me, because you haven't planned your cross country drive yet?

 He is the son of the brother of my mother's mother. Do you need a pen and a minute to draw that chart?

Okay, so you've figured out that he's my mother's first cousin. So what does that make him to me? My first cousin once removed. And to my daughter, he's her first cousin twice removed.  I grew up hearing my second cousin call him Uncle, because it actually was his uncle. And so it stuck. So for my husband, Uncle Sydney would be his first cousin once removed by marriage. But because my husband was raised in the South, he'll always be "Mister Uncle Sydney".

Enough of the cousins genealogy lesson, here are some pictures of two cousins twice removed enjoying each others company, mostly (and a carrot stick).

IMG_5005
Say Cheese

IMG_5007
Smile

IMG_5010
Okay just smurk

IMG_5011
At least try to look at the camera

Thanks for coming to see us Uncle Sydney! You make "home" a little bit closer everytime.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute pictures! I love the way Kate refuses to smile but still has her legs crossed like the little lady that she is.

Mia

me again (Monique) said...

I have an "Uncle Nug" who is actually my cousin....but the term stuck!