1.5.12

Moyo

After visiting Maiden's Cove, Hout Bay, seeing ostriches at the Cape of Good Hope and penguins at Boulders Beach, we were famished. We headed back to Stellenbosch, close to Khayamandi. Stellenbosch is the primary location for viticulture and viticulture research. The region has a Mediterranean climate with hot dry summers and cool wet winters. This is good for wine grapes as well as many other fruits. Like these pomegranates that I almost walked by because I didn't know what they looked like on a tree.
(How sad my generation only recognizes produce in the grocery store.)
IMG_2033
Pomegranates

IMG_2044
The Lake at Spier Estate
We enjoyed lunch at Moyo, an African-inspired buffet, under a canopy of stars and Bedouin tents, next to an ethereal tree house, all of which was nestled in lush gardens on the Spier Wine Estate.


I'd love to recount all that is on  Moyo's menu, but honestly:
A) I forget, it's been two months now since that meal.
B) I was enamored with the fact that they had oxtail.
C) I was too busy eating wild game that I know I'd never be able to enjoy in the US. (I understand that USDA is working in the best interest of its citizens, but can we get some other tasty treats; a girl's tastebuds are suffering.)
D) I was too busy observing a lady encourage someone else's child to drink rain water. (PS. It wasn't raining that day.)



Since a picture speaks a thousand words, I'll let the Moyo chefs show you what's cooking.  After dinner we enjoyed a wine tasting at Spier's Cow House. I know what it sounds like. Trust me, if we had known beforehand, I don't know if we would have been so enthusiastic. But it really was a delightful experience and there were no cows on the premises.
IMG_2073
Fred & oak barrells at Spier Winery

IMG_2078
Squirrel & the winepress

IMG_2079
Waiting to be served

IMG_2081
Tasting The Creative Block wines at Spier

Visitors to Spier can engage with the cheetahs at their facility on the estate. I won't name any names, but one member of our group (gleefully nicknames after a tree-dwelling rodent) engaged with the cheetahs. Fortunately the cheetahs allowed him to re-engage us afterwards.

No comments: